Timmins and Area Women in Crisis (TAWC) is a dynamic, community based feminist organization, which provides services on intimate partner abuse and sexual violence to women and their children in the Timmins area. TAWC works within an integrated feminist, anti-racist, anti-oppression framework. The agency administers a sexual assault centre, an emergency shelter as well as second stage housing to abused women and their children.
We are looking for a dynamic woman to join our team in the capacity of Casual/Relief Residential Support Worker at H.E.R. Place Woman’s Shelter.
The ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
• Post-secondary degree/diploma in a relevant field
• Proven dedication to violence against women work/ women’s issues
• Solid understanding of feminist ideology and anti-racism/anti-oppression principles
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated crisis intervention, conflict resolution/mediation abilities
• Sound judgment, problem solving and organizational skills
• Understanding of the social service sector and providing non-profit service to the community
• Must undergo a criminal record check
• Must be able to do lifting/carrying, snow shovelling, light housework
• Must be able to work a variety of shifts including overnights
• Work to create and maintain safe, confidential, respectful and trustworthy living/working conditions within the shelter
• Provide client centered support/ education/ crisis intervention for shelter residents and crisis line callers
• Provide advocacy/accompaniment, safety planning for shelter clients
• Provide conflict resolution and mediation within the shelter
• Complete various administrative tasks
• Attend and participate in fundraising and awareness raising ventures
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants responding must indicate the position for which they are applying.