H.E.R. Place is an accessible emergency anti-violence shelter where we welcome women and their children who are experiencing intimate partner physical, sexual, emotional or financial abuse and/or stalking. It’s more than just a safe place to stay. After intake, our staff will give you support and information so you can make your own choices about safety for you and your children.
The location of the shelter is unpublicized and our services are free. You can contact the shelter by calling our 24-hour Crisis Line at 705-264-7233(SAFE) or, for long distance, 1-855-827—7233 for immediate and confidential support.
- Immediate telephone support and information through our 24-hour Crisis Line
- Risk assessment and safety planning for you and your children
- One-to-one support
- Group support
- Accompaniment, advocacy and referrals to police, court, hospital, lawyers, social services and community agencies
- Help with custody and child support issues
- Help with immigration services
- Help with finding a new place to live
- Help with getting financial support
- Social and educational activities for you and your children
- Follow-up after leaving the shelter
While at the shelter, you are free to continue with regular activities such as work or school at the same time as taking other steps to better your situation such as securing housing.
H.E.R. Place (Heal. Empower. Reflect) allows abused women to do just that. Complete with an Aboriginal healing room, children’s play area, library, women’s reading room, youth room, and high-tech security system, the shelter is also fully accessible, with a wheelchair ramp and an elevator.